What Are We Doing?
You will create an archive of smells as you discover an area you are less familiar with.
Why Are We Doing It?
The act of sensing and describing smells will sharpen our observational skills. Sharing the archives will enhance our sense of community.
How Are We Doing It?
- Select a walking path you are less familiar with that is about five minutes long. Be mindful of safety – avoid walking where you don’t feel safe.
- As you walk, record the smells you encounter in any way that feels appropriate (voice recording, written notes, photographs, videos, collected objects, etc.). Take note of any descriptive words, potent images, lingering emotions, or passing memories that the smells bring to mind. Be specific and detailed as you archive.
- When you return, arrange your archive in a way that you can share with others. Be ready to explain the smells and your archival choices.
Further Resources / Examples
- Smellscape Mapping Marseille
- Smelly Maps
- Smell, Smellscape, and Place-Making: A Review of Approaches to Study Smellscape