In Drawing Essentials by Deborah Rockman, read the section on chalk pastels (~pages 238-247) , and answer the following questions on Canvas using complete sentences.
- Why might you use soft pastels? Why might you use hard pastels? Why might you use artist grade pastels?
- Why might you keep your pastels in uncooked rice? What is a Mahl stick and why might you use one?
- How can you safely remove excess dust from a pastel drawing? What are some good tools for blending for beginners? In what areas do you do the most extensive blending?
- Of all the methods for fixing a pastel drawing, which are you leaning towards and why?
- What is the difference between scumbling and feathering?
- What are 3 tips for blocking in base color?