Prepping a masonite (hard board) surface:
- Take note of the slick side (avoid the rough side).
- Protect your work area, and put down paper/drop cloth if necessary.
- Apply gesso/primer to the smooth side of your board, and spread it out
- NOTE: without gesso/primer, the painting will start to rot after a decade or so.
- Allow 1st coat to dry completely. Then, apply a 2nd coat.
- After 2nd coat has dried, take it outside to sand the surface smooth
- NOTE: Do NOT sand indoors (we do not have appropriate ventilation for dust removal).
Another technique involving a specific texture for the gesso: