Why we’re doing this:
We are working on figure drawing. We are also continuing to practice correct proportions, value, and excellent composition.
Conte Crayon on Toned paper: (18″ x 24″) at least 70lb, Acid-Free. Ensure that it is properly spray sealed.
This will be a drawing involving a human figure you draw from life using hatching or cross-hatching. You must address the concept of “interaction” (how we interact, why we interact, who we do/don’t interact with, where we interact, etc…). DO NOT DRAW FROM PHOTOS OR YOUR IMAGINATION. It must be drawn from life. This must, as always, be a strong composition. Be creative and make it interesting because you have total freedom to focus on any concept you like.
PAGE 1 of Sketchbook:
– Find a minimum of 7 research images related to your thoughts on interaction, print them in color, and put them in your sketchbook.
– Find a minimum of 3 artists that work with interaction in some capacity, print images of their work (in color preferably), and put them in your sketchbook.
These 10 images will serve as your source material and inspirations for this project. Remember that you will NOT be drawing directly from these research images. If you really like one of the images, you can re-create it with real-life objects (if possible). For example, if you see a cool image of a soldier, you could recreate that scene by drawing an action figure of a soldier. Otherwise, the images only serve to stir your imagination and bring new ideas to the front of your mind. Be ready to discuss your choices and how it relates to the assignment – you have to justify everything.
PAGE 2 of Sketchbook:
– In your sketchbook, do 10 thumbnails of possible compositions of your selected objects.
– Present research and sketches to the class, and explain your ideas.
– Then, execute your best idea in conte & toned/colored paper (18″ x 24″). Follow the grading criteria below as you complete your final drawing.
Grading criteria: (Click the link)
Remember that I do NOT accept late work. If it is not turned in on time, you get a zero.
20 points are possible – remember that completing the minimum requirements earns you a “C” – you must go above and beyond the requirements to get higher than a “C.”